The 100 Yard Flight

June 22

As many of my friends know, I have been shuttling back and forth between the West Coast and Ohio for the past (almost) four years. On this last flight I finally confirmed exactly how much yarn it takes to get from Cleveland to LA.

It takes 100 yards! Isn’t that a nice round number? Twice now I’ve started a flight at the beginning of a ball of Tonatlita, and ended at the just-enough-to-weave-in end. It works for all kinds of yarn. I can get a half a sock completed. Three-quarters of a sleeve.  A third of a scarf.

If you’re lucky enough to be heading for somewhere other than Cleveland, just figure on 1.75 inches per mile between cities.

I would go no-kidding bonkers if it weren’t for knitting. I see other passengers eyeing me enviously, like “She’s got something fun to do, and we just have to sit here. Lucky girl!”

Or they’re just scared of someone as harried looking as me holding sharp objects. I must look a bit crazed; after all, I’m sitting there figuring out how many inches of yarn per mile it’ll take me to arrive at my destination.

posted under Travel | 7 Comments »

“The 100 Yard Flight”

1. On June 22nd, 2010 at 1:25 pm Neil Says:

I’m actually very surprised that anyone is allowed to bring knitting needles on a commercial flight at all.

2. On June 22nd, 2010 at 5:09 pm AudKnits Says:

Which do you think is more dangerous, knitting needles or obsessed (and shall we just say, ahem, hormonal) women like me being deprived of them? TSA no doubt considered the options, and decided the former option is safer.
    [BTW, it’s my understaning that many countries only allow the plastic needles onboard.]

3. On June 24th, 2010 at 12:56 pm Laurie (Moo!) Says:

That’s some great info. I wonder if I could convince Tom that I need to do some flying, so I can use up my stash. Yeah! That could work! :-)

4. On June 24th, 2010 at 1:33 pm AudKnits Says:

Ah, you clever gal. I figure you can get a sweater done in one round trip to Australia or two to Europe. Think Tom’ll go for that?

5. On July 5th, 2010 at 3:57 pm CeRae Speidel Says:

I like your calculations Audrey! I’m back from Portland, and I too survived not only the flights, but the layovers with my knitting! I was so glad to hear that they allowed knitting needles on planes now. Hope things are going well, both here and in Ohio.

6. On July 29th, 2010 at 8:57 am mdjknits Says:

Cleveland is a great place to fly to!

Wooden needles only in Europe. At the Cork airport I had to run back to check in all my knitting kit, wrapped in the plastic bag I was using to keep everything clean and sealed up with sticky baggage tags!!! But we all arrived safe and sound.

7. On September 1st, 2010 at 7:36 am Tangled Yoke Obsession | Free Knitting Patterns, Instructions, Projects & Designs. Learn How to Knit! Says:

[…] state, I was able to knit one sleeve. It’s twin materialized on the trip back home. (My yardage-per-flight-mile calculator seems spot on!) And I took comfort in knitting a pattern I know I […]