Confessions of a Reluctant Picker

April 13

I recently took a class in Continental knitting. Having learned the English  method, I was jealous of the speedy, smooth stitching my Continental friends were doing. I was determined to change my throwing ways to picking.

So, I learned the Continental style like five minutes ago. And I’m starting a new project – perfect time to switch knitting techniques, right? Oh, yeah, brilliant idea. My new fingerless gloves project  involves ribbing. And double-pointed needles. And striping.

Somewhere there is a  Knitters’ Big Book of No-No’s prescribing tenets like 1. Thou Shalt Not Start the New Method until You’ve Practiced A Lot. 2. Thou Shall Start With a Simple Project 3. A Simple Project Shall Not Consist of DPNs and A Glove of Many Colors, and finally, 4. Thou Shalt Not Resort to Mixing in English Stitches Even If Thou Becomest Miffed and Frustrated.

So far I have turned blue because I concentrate so hard I forget to breathe. I’ve had to break out a box of kleenex (although, to be fair, some of the tears may be residual from watching “Marley and Me”). I’ve created stitches so tight that and tense the fabric is one big pucker. I’ve broken all the rules in the Knitters’ Big Book of No-No’s.

I’m on row 4.

“Confessions of a Reluctant Picker”

1. On April 13th, 2009 at 9:29 am Nevernotknitting Says:

Awwwww… it’ll get easier!

I know! Marley and Me is sooo sad!!!

2. On April 13th, 2009 at 2:05 pm Laurie (Moo!) Says:

You can do it! Look at it this way, once you get this down you can use Continental on the knit side and then, without turning the fabric, English your way back across (knitting backwards).

I love using this technique on everything. I’m doing a shawl right now. Instead of purling back I’m knitting backwards so I don’t have to turn my work. (Purling hurts my hands.)

It’s GRRRRRRRREAT!!

3. On April 13th, 2009 at 2:43 pm audknits Says:

I’m in awe that you can knit this way, Laurie!

4. On April 13th, 2009 at 7:21 pm mary Joyce Says:

Catching up on your knitnews Aud and I think in the end you will turn out a great pair of mitts and have mastered your new technique and all the combinations! I know you. Good luck!!

5. On April 14th, 2009 at 9:12 am Donna Druchunas Says:

For colorwork, you might try carrying one color in each hand. Throw the mc and pick the cc, for example. That’s what I do. That will give you some practice with picking without breaking the rules you’ve listed here!

Good luck.

6. On November 29th, 2011 at 11:46 am Florence Says:

LOL! I too am a thrower and watching Eunny Jang drives me to distraction – so I decided to try learning to pick. EEEK! Tight stitches, confusion (which way is the yarn going?) and realizing later I had twisted stitches. Yes, “throwing” is slow, but that’s what my Grannie taught me and that’s what feels “right” for me. Everyone says since I crochet, picking should be easy for me. Ain’t so…sigh.