Koolhaas Hat

March 18

As I knitted Jared Flood’s Koolhaas Hat I wanted to break out into all sorts of Discovery Channel-like descriptions…”A Marvel of Modern Engineering”… “Structural Design at its Best”…

One of my favorite things about making Koolhaas was getting to the top. As I arrived at the decreases that shape the top of the hat, it started to dawn on my how brilliant Jared’s design is.

If you’d like to read Jared’s fascinating post about how his Koolhaas design evolved, you can find it here.

posted under Hats, Projects | 9 Comments »

“Koolhaas Hat”

1. On March 19th, 2009 at 2:30 pm Nevernotknitting Says:

You really did a wonderful job! This pattern is so pretty! Thanks again for that signed copy you brought back for me!

2. On March 19th, 2009 at 4:45 pm MDJ Says:

What an elegant hat. The geometry is striking. When I made this hat I thought it was going to be too small but the spirals expanded to accommodate the wearer. I hope you made this for yourself Aud.

3. On March 23rd, 2009 at 9:28 am Laurie (Moo!) Says:

I don’t make hats but I LOVE making this hat. Now I just need more “victims” so I can make more.

Yours is beautiful. Isn’t the top amazing?

4. On April 1st, 2009 at 9:01 am Adrienne Says:

I adore this hat, and thie color yarn you chose shows the design off beautifully.

5. On April 15th, 2011 at 2:15 pm Pamela Woodbyrne Says:

So pretty ~ it reminds me of raspberries !!!

6. On April 15th, 2011 at 2:34 pm AudKnits Says:

Thank you, Pamela! It was a fun pattern to knit – Jared Flood is a genius.

7. On January 31st, 2012 at 2:31 pm What Happened to New Year Resolve?! « Blackwork Lessons Says:

[…] in Carnivale.  This was wonderful yarn to work with and I love the color.  (I have also started this hat in this yarn to go with the gloves, but it will not be picked up again until I finish the baby […]

8. On January 2nd, 2015 at 7:40 am kelly Says:

I bought the pattern and have been struggling with it. I am a very good knitter and am usually good at following patterns, but here for some reason the cable knitting just seems weird to me.
    Knitting from the back is the way I always do K so it makes no difference to me, but… sigh. It is such a beautiful hat.
    any advice?

9. On January 2nd, 2015 at 1:32 pm AudKnits Says:

The Koolhaas hat was a challenge for me to knit as well. The designer is Jared Flood, whose brand is Brooklyn Tweed. I’m afraid I can’t offer advice or technical support for patterns that I didn’t design. If you’re on Ravelry, there’s a terrific Brooklyn Tweed group. You might be able to get help there.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

cables cardigan Coastal Knits Cooperative Press Downton Abbey KAL fair isle fingerless mitts free pattern Girasole giveaway Hats How to knit Jared Flood knitting lace Lorna's Laces reversible scarf Reversible Scarves Rowan Scarf shawl Smock Top Sweater sock pattern Socks Stephannie Tallent stitch markers sweater Tangled Yoke Cardigan TKGA TNNA