Major League Afghan

October 23

I’m on the home stretch of my Make It Mitered Afghan (from Creative Knitting, November 2007). This is the project I like to work on while keeping my husband company during baseball season. I serenely knit while he yells at the television.

If this picture makes the project look interminable, that’s because it is. I started it in December 2007. I’m pretty sure I’ll have it done by the end of the World Series, possibly even the one this year.

Progress is slow, just like baseball. I’m starting to add the crochet edge. I tried to avoid doing this, since my crochet skills are about as good as my lunar landing skills. But the afghan really benefits from an edge, even a squirrely one.

If you decide to make this afghan, my best advice is to weave in the ends as you go. Each square produces two tails. That’s a LOT of weaving in! For me, the tails went much faster after my knitting buddy Sally taught me how to knit in the tails as went. There’s a nice YouTube video of this technique here.

Truthfully, I’ve enjoyed the heck out of this project. I love the Plymouth Boku yarn colors.  It’s easy to learn how to make the squares, so it’s perfect for mindless knitting. I can even pretend to listen when my husband tries to explain double plays and change-ups. And he pretends to listen while I talk about central double decreases.

“Major League Afghan”

1. On October 25th, 2008 at 5:13 pm Nevernotknitting Says:

Audrey,

Your blanket has gotten so big! It looks beautiful! Nice work!

2. On October 29th, 2008 at 7:19 pm MDJ Says:

I think tonight is the last game. Is it done or do we get to wait for next year as we have learned to do with the Indians? Or do you knit and watch basketball? the afghan is lovely, the colors delicious. A home run.

3. On October 30th, 2008 at 7:10 am audknits Says:

Thank you, Mary! No, it isn’t done. I was really hoping for seven games to buy time. Maybe it’ll become a Super Bowl blankie? Yes, Indians fans must feel akin to Red Sox fans during that long dry spell.

4. On November 4th, 2008 at 8:58 am Truffle Says:

Beautiful work, Audrey! And the colors are gorgeous. I appreciate your references on “Knitting in Ends” and “Weaving in Ends” on UTube.

5. On November 7th, 2008 at 7:54 am audknits Says:

Thanks, Truffle, for the kind comment. I’m grateful for the effort people put into posting YouTube tutorials!

6. On January 12th, 2010 at 4:39 pm Robbie Keefer Says:

Don’t be too hard on yourself. You have created am incredibly pleasing afghan. Congratulations. Beautiful work and coloration is incredible!

You must be logged in to post a comment.